Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Places and Projects

Since we talked about space and stasis in Lean (and Dickens) today, I thought you might ponder the setting of Cuaron's Great Expectations. Its early scenes are set in my back yard, the central Florida Gulf Coast. Satis House (renamed Paradiso Perduto) is the Ringling (of circus fame) mansion, now a world-class art museum: https://www.ringling.org/ca-dzan

And since many of you asked, here's the website for the Page One book: http://www.graphicdesignand.com/shop/page-1-great-expectations

Here's another intriguing Great Expectations page-based, adaptational (Hush: it's my blog and I can coin words if I want to): http://havishamhour.com/project/

"Each day I read a single page of Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations on a 1963 edition I found in a used bookstore. After reading the page, I use it as format to create artwork onto it inspired by the words I just read. I then scan the painted page and publish it on different online platforms, along with a personal journal entry, exactly at 8:40 AM PST each day, the time in the novel when Miss Havisham receives a letter on her wedding day announcing her groom is not marrying her after all. In addition, selected artwork is accompanied with a reading of the page by a featured guest.

Go back to the Home Page to see the pages done so far.

The project started Monday, January 7th, 2013 and it will end Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 for a total of 513 days, 513 pages, and 513 sketches: 1 year, 4 months, and 27 days."





No comments:

Post a Comment